The food industry tends to overcomplicate food...
... and that could be causing damage to our bodies that we can’t see. Thats why our menu is founded on the following principals of Functional Nutrition… not rules... just rules of thumb. Some examples are:
- We avoid all fake foods that stress the body. We are 100% transparent for everything we produce.
- We are organic where possible:
- Non-organic food can often be loaded with nasty stuff that our bodies don’t want or need and may actually find it extremely difficult to process, spending loads of time, precious nutrients and energy getting them all back out
- We don’t use any processed food at all. The food industry has deviously made us think that some foods are not actually processed by labelling them as ‘natural', 'pure', 'whole', 'healthy’, 'from natural sources'. By labelling them in this way people think nothing bad has happened to them. Now these may not have had anything added, but they may have had plenty of things taken away, not just this but they may have gone through some serious processing along the way. It’s worth mentioning that we also use things like raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar and gluten free soy sauce (tamari) as these are much better for us than the more well known vinegar and soy sauce.
- We use ceramic knives to cut all our fruit and vegetables. Ceramic is 100% stainless and chemically inert and we believe that makes for better tasting and better for you food. (By the way, this is to do with oxidation)
- Dairy doesn’t have to stop at cows milk… we use things like cashew cream and nut based milks, wherever possible. This is because these can be so much better for your gut. If we do use dairy, we will use organic, probiotic, live yoghurt or goats or sheep’s milk products as these are easier to digest. Don't panic though, we still offer organic cow's milk for your coffee if you fancy that
- Sugar: Refined sugar causes, amongst many, many other things, inflammation in the body and feeds unfriendly yeast and bacteria in the gut, therefore we do not use it. Instead, we chose from natural things like coconut sugar, coconut blossom / nectar, raw honey, Manuka honey, pure maple syrup, unrefined sugar and molasses. By the way we don’t use any toxic chemical sweeteners either. Please chat to us if you are looking for a sweetener for your tea or coffee.
- The whole of our menu is 100% Gluten free. Gluten is certainly not an enemy, but it is extremely difficult for all of us to digest. To cut quite a long story short, this can therefore lead to all sorts of damage to our intestinal cells - which in turn may lead to an inflamed and more permeable gut lining. That’s why we avoid gluten in everything we make and this includes our creamy porridge. By the way, we are very happy to explain the long story - it's just we don't want you to switch off reading this - so please ask me anything on gluten and I will do my best to find answers for you
- Where appropriate, we soak our nuts, seeds and oats before we use them as this makes them far easier for our bodies to use and we use pre-sprouted oats... sprouting the oats sounds slightly strange I know, but this helps them come to life, releases their vital nutrients, making them even easier to digest. This also means that they are creamier than ever with a delicious oats flavour... so everyone's a winner!
- As raw as it gets cacao powder / raw chocolate is a) so much more chocolately and b) so good for you. So we use this and Madagascan 71% wherever we use chocolate.
- Table salt is highly processed and bleached... it's actually 97.5% sodium chloride and 2.5% chemicals, such as moisture absorbents, and iodine. Dried at over 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit, the excessive heat alters the natural structure of the salt. For every gram of sodium chloride that your body cannot get rid of, your body uses 23 times the amount of cell water to neutralise the salt. Therefore eating common table salt may cause excess fluid in your body tissue. Instead we go for Himalayan pink salt / sea salt. Himalayan pink salt contains at least 84 naturally occurring trace elements in their natural mineral form, the benefits of this salt include: Regulating the water content throughout your body; in conjunction with water, it is actually essential for the regulation of your blood pressure
- Coconut oil will not turn to toxic trans fats when heated to high temperatures, therefore we use extra virgin coconut oil for all of our cooking. For baking we use either goat's butter or coconut oil